PE & Sports Grant
Ramsgate Arts Primary School PES Funding:
The government provided additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding is referred to as the Sports Premium or PES and is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. The funds must be spent on improving the school's provision of PE and sport, and the school can choose how they can do this.
The three main purposes of the funding are:
- allow schools to increase the skills of their staff by providing high quality professional development opportunities
- enable children to participate in extra-curricular sport, which will lead into local clubs and extended services
- provide such a variety of opportunities for our children that they will develop a lifelong love of sport
At Ramsgate Arts Primary School we believe that participation within physical activities is essential in supporting development of a well rounded child. The benefits of exercise on our physical and mental health are explained to our pupils.
To this end we have used, and will continue to use, PES funding to encourage, develop and enthuse children in achieving in sports and fulfilling their potential. We are mindful to ensure the PES funding is used to ensure a robust PE and Sporting legacy for the school and continue to develop the provision available for all pupils.
The Viking Academy Trust Board delegate responsibility for monitoring the spending of PES funding to the FAR committee (Finance, Audit & Risk) under the agreement that the funding must be used so that:
- all children benefit, regardless of sporting ability
- all children have the opportunity to compete against others at some level
- the most able children are given the opportunity to compete in high level competition, both at school level and beyond.
To facilitate the continued development of PE and sport across the school we have employed a part-time P.E. Specialist (Sports Coach). This allows every child in the school to have access to an active physical lesson at least once a week. The funding for this member of staff is not taken from our PES funding.